Advertisement

Latest News

Pin It

Widgets

Beckham to play 'small part' in Olympic opening ceremony

By Delords - Wednesday, July 25, 2012

The former England captain was controversially omitted from Stuart Pearce's Team GB football squad but has revealed that he will have some involvement in the games this summer. The LA Galaxy midfielder was controversially left out of Stuart Pearce's 18-man team for the Games but has now confirmed that he will continue to be involved in London.

Beckham was part of the successful bid team seven years ago and described how grateful he remains to Sebastian Coe, chairman of the London Organising Committee for the Olympic Games, for giving him a part to play. "To be involved in the bid team that got the Olympics to London is something I feel very proud about.

"[I will have] some kind of role in the opening ceremony which I am honored to be involved in because obviously I was involved in the start of this process seven years ago. "For it to all come to life now, and to see the Olympic Park built and all the athletes start to arrive is exciting. "I'm privileged to still be involved in this. I was involved seven years ago [in bringing the Games to London] and Seb [Coe] has kept me involved since then. I feel very honoured with that. 

"At the time I said it felt a bit strange to be involved in an Olympic bid team, because I'd never performed in the Olympics or been an Olympian. So to be asked to be part of that bid team, I was very honoured. "Seb's an amazing man who's done amazing things leading up to these Olympics, and who continues to do amazing things. So for him to keep me involved, I feel privileged."

Beckham, now 37, has won more England caps than any other outfield player and captained his country between 2000 and 2006.

News Source. Goal.com

Do you want More Free News Updates..?

Get Free Email Updates Daily!

Follow us!

Follow our blog on Twitter, become a fan on Facebook. Stay updated via RSS

0 comments for "Beckham to play 'small part' in Olympic opening ceremony"

Leave a Reply

Advertisement